Cooperative Extension Advisor - Vegetable Crops
Date Posted: March 12, 2018
Closing Date: April 30, 2018
Job Description: Download
For instructions on application procedures and materials required, please click the above 'Job Description' link.
Complete application packets require an academic application form, the link to which is http://ucanr.edu/sites/anrstaff/files/278846.pdf and, cover letter, curriculum vitae and all post-secondary education transcripts.
The Area Cooperative Extension (CE) advisor for vegetable crops will conduct a locally-based extension and applied research program with a broad focus on vegetable crop management with an emphasis on control of plant diseases in Kern County. This position also addresses on-farm production practices to control contamination of pre-harvest foods.
Major Responsibilities include:
- develop an applied research program, evaluate programs, and report accomplishments, results, impacts to scientific and lay audiences;
- evaluate programs and report accomplishments, results and potential or actual impacts;
- complement UC ANR’s Strategic Vision, and Cooperative Extension’s credibility and visibility.
- develop collaborative teams with other UC ANR academics, including CE specialists, AES faculty, CE advisors and others, to address priority issues for UC ANR.
- A minimum of a master's degree or other advanced degree earned by the appointment start date in plant pathology, agronomy, plant sciences, horticulture, or a closely related field.
- Demonstrated excellence in the areas of applied agricultural research and extension.
- Possession of a Qualified Pesticide Applicator Certificate (QAC) or License prior to applying or supervising the application of any pesticide.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
The ability to build partnerships and to work with multidisciplinary teams to address production and environmental challenges.
This position is headquartered in Bakersfield, California (Kern County)
Beginning salary will be in the Assistant Cooperative Extension Advisor Rank and commensurate with applicable experience and professional qualifications. For information regarding Cooperative Extension Advisor salary scales, please refer to: http://ucanr.edu/sites/anrstaff/files/271532.pdf.